“Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia.” (Romans 16: 3-5)
“Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house.” (Colossians 4: 15)
“to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home” (Philemon 1:2)
Interested in joining a house church?
What is house church?
House church is a community that fulfills all intrinsic purposes of the church. House churches are shepherded by a lay-leader and made up of 6 to 12 people meeting in their homes. In scriptures it says that the churches met in their homes and they created a dynamic church that made disciples of all nations.
The purpose of the house church ministries is to be the church Jesus had in mind. Jesus said that He would build His church and we find 4 imperatives (i.e. we call this 4 pillars) of new testament church.
- Matthew 28: 18-20 - The purpose of the church's existence
28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
- The mission of church is to make disciples.
- The method is by going, baptizing and teaching them to obey.
- Saving the lost and making them disciples of Christ is the purpose of the church's existence.
2. Mark 3: 13-15 - Jesus' method of discipleship
3:13 Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. 3:14 He appointed twelve--designating them apostles--that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach 3:15 and to have authority to drive out demons.
- It was not transferring knowledge but cultivating spiritual power.
- It was not classroom lectures but field experience.
- It was not by teaching with words but by modeling.
- Jesus helped his disciples learn by example.
"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (John 13: 15)
- Paul told the believers to follow his example.
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." (1 Cor. 11: 1)
Peter told the elders to be an example.
"not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Pet. 5: 3)
3. Ephesians 4: 11-13 - Biblical division of ministry
4:11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 4:12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 4:13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
- The pastor's ministry is to prepare God's people.
- Train them so that they can do ministry.
- Appoint them to the right place so that they can do ministry.
- God's people are responsible for doing ministry and building up God's church.
- Besides preparing God's people for ministry, the pastor is responsible for: prayer, preaching and teaching God's word (Acts 6: 2-4,) and exercising leadership.
4. Mark 10: 42-45 - Servant leadership
10:42 Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 10:43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 10:44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 10:45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
The purpose of life is to serve.
True leadership comes from serving.
Being a servant means that the needs of the community come before the leader's own needs